The maintenance of your furnace is essential for preserving the efficiency and health of the heating and cooling system in your home, but not all maintenance operations require you to hire a Denver heating and cooling professional – here are the most important maintenance activities that you can handle yourself:
- Vacuuming the burners – burners can function properly only if they are free of dust and other debris. Turn off the power switch and the gas supply, then simply take a vacuum cleaner and run the hose around the burners and the base of the furnace.
- Cleaning the blower and the control panel – remove the screws that hold the blower and the control panel in place as well and clean them with a soft brush.
- Clean the pilot, too – pilots are usually small, so the easiest way to clean them is by blowing the dust with the help of a drinking straw.
- Clean the flame sensor – the sensor can become covered in dust and other residues, so make sure it is clean. If you see any deposits, use a soft cloth to remove them.
- Pay attention to the filters – clogged filters are the most common cause of diminished furnace efficiency. Replace disposable filters or clean permanent ones, if that is the type that your furnace uses.